IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade , Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies.
Full From of IEC Code is : “Importer Exporter Code ”. To import or export in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number.
Directorate General of Foreign Trade(DGFT) issued a Policy Circular No.15 (RE-2006)/2004-2009 Date: 27th July, 2006) for New System for issuance of Importer-Exporter Code Number.
Eligibility and Legal Provisions and Conditions for IEC Code Number
Eligibility condition and Legal Provisions are given for IEC Code Number Application in Foreign Trade (Regulation) Rules, 1993 Ministry of Commerce, Notification No. GSR 791 (E), dated 30-12-1993.
Application for Grant of IEC Number
An application for grant of IEC number shall be made by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and apply to the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade, the Registered office in case of company and Head office in case of others, falls in the ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A’ and shall be accompanied by documents prescribed therein. In case of STPI/ EHTP/ BTP units, the Regional Offices of the DGFT having jurisdiction over the district in which the Registered/ Head Office of the STPI unit is located shall issue or amend the IECs.
Only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number. Any proprietor can have only one IEC number and in case there are more than one IECs allotted to a proprietor, the same may be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation.
The following permanent IEC numbers shall be used by the categories of importers/ exporters mentioned against them for import/ export purposes..
|S.No||Code Number||Categories of Importers / Exporters|
|1||0100000011||All Ministries / Departments of Central Government and agencies
wholly or partially owned by them.
|2||0100000029||All Ministries / Departments of any State Government and agencies
wholly or partially owned by them.
|3||0100000037||Diplomatic personnel, Counselor officers in India and officials of
UNO and its specialised agencies.
|4||0100000045||Indians returning from / going abroad and claiming benefit under
|5||0100000053||Persons / Institutions / Hospitals importing or exporting goods for
personnel use, not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
|6||0100000061||Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Nepal|
|7||0100000070||Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Myanmar through
Indo-Myanmar border areas
|9||0100000096||Importers importing goods for display or use
in fairs / exhibitions or similar
events under provisions of ATA carnet This IEC number can also be used
importers importing for exhibitions/fairs as per Para 2.29 of HBPv1.
|10||0100000100||Director, National Blood Group Reference Laboratory, Bombay or their
|11||0100000126||Individuals / Charitable Institution /Registered NGOs importing
which have been exempted from Customs duty under Notification issued by
Ministry of Finance for bonafide use by victims affected by natural
|12||0100000134||Persons importing / exporting permissible
goods as notified from time to time, from / to China through Gunji,
Namgaya Shipkila and Nathula ports,
subject to value ceilings of single consignment as given in Para 2.8(iv)
|13||0100000169||Non-commercial imports and exports by entities who have been
authorized by Reserve Bank of India.
Note: Commercial Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) who have obtained PAN will however be required to obtain Importer Exporter Code number. The permanent IEC number as mentioned above, shall be used by non-commercial PSUs.
Mandatory Requirements to apply for IEC Code Number
- PAN Number
- Current Bank Account
- Bankers Certificate
- IEC Code Number
(Expert TIP : Pay via EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer ), and submit IEC Online Application form, If you wish to receive IEC Number instantly)
- The physical application containing required documents should reach DGFT RLA concerned within 15 days of its online submission.
- E-mail is not mandatory. If it is provided it will facilitate faster communication.
Check List of Documents to apply for IEC Code
- Covering Letter on your company’s letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format (
Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF 2A
) must be submitted to your regional Jt.DGFT Office.
- Each individual page of the application has to be signed by the applicant.
- Part 1 & Part 4 has to be filled in by all applicants. In case of applications submitted electronically.
- No hard copies of Part 1 may be submitted. However in cases where applications are submitted otherwise, hard copy of Part 1has to be submitted.
- Only relevant portions of Part 2 need to be filled in.
- Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/Demand Draft/EFT details evidencing payment of application fee in terms of
- Certificate from the Banker of the applicant firm in the format given in
- Self certified copy of PAN issuing letter or PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card issued by Income Tax Authority.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the Banker of the applicant.
- Self addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/DD of Rs.100/- for speed post.